The precinct chair position is the most grassroots and important Republican party position. Key information on precinct chairs and voting precincts in Travis county:
Would you like to be a Precinct Chairman? Great! The Republican party relies on enthusiastic individuals like you to get out the vote for our candidates. Below is what the position entails. If it seems difficult or daunting, don't worry -- we provide free and friendly training! No experience or college degree necessary.
* Attend executive committee meetings. This is an important responsibility, as we must have a quorum of members to conduct official business. The Executive Committee is made up of all Precinct Chairmen, who steer the agenda of the Travis County Republican Party. This is where the action starts!
* Activate your precinct. This is accomplished by identifying the active voters in your neighborhood and blockwalking. Nothing beats a boots-on-the-ground effort to get out the vote for your favorite candidates. Free exercise and socializing -- you really can't beat it!
* Staff your precinct's polling place on election day. You may recruit friends and neighbors to work the election so that we have local residents ensuring honesty and good service at the ballot box.
There are two ways you can become a Precinct Chairman:
1. Be appointed to fill a vacancy
Any eligible person
may be appointed by the party to fill a Precinct Chairman vacancy.
Appointment is by majority vote of the County Executive Committee present at a properly called and constituted meeting, unless otherwise stipulated by the Texas Election Code (§ 171.024-5).
You may check to see if there is a vacancy in your precinct here
. If there is a vacancy, please complete our application
and contact our office via e-mail at email@example.com
or by phone at (512)302-1776.
The Travis County Republican Party Vacancy Committee will then contact you to schedule an interview and will later choose whether to recommend you as a precinct chairman to the party's Executive Committee.
2. Appear on the ballot and win
Whether you're new to this or are an incumbent precinct chair wanting to defend your position (even if recently appointed), you'll want to file both the State of Texas and
the Travis GOP forms to appear on the Primary Ballot in your precinct as a candidate for precinct chairman. Please return both forms to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or hand-deliver or mail to headquarters
The filing deadline is 6 p.m.
on the second Monday in December (Dec. 11, 2017
) for candidates for precinct chairman. The application may be filed with the County Chairman
or the Secretary
(Tex. Elec. Code § 172.022).
For a list of Travis County Republican Precinct Chairmen (including contact information) please click here
For eligibility requirements please see Article III of the Travis GOP Bylaws.
Precinct Chairman Filing Form (Secretary of State)
Precinct Chairman Application (Travis GOP)